Three employees with a total of 110 years of service between them were among 218 recognized during this year's Celebration of Service for reaching employment milestones at Floyd.
Vickie Garmon, a registered nurse at Cherokee Medical Center, was honored for 40 years of service. Two Floyd Medical Center honorees each reached the 35-year employment mark – Keli Holcombe, Director of Coding in Medical Records and Melinda Turner, Assistant Director in Registration.
The following were recognized for 30 years of service:
- Pamela Cochran, Supervisor, Financial Counseling
- Shelli Gilbreath, Nurse Practitioner
- Larry Kimbrell, Paramedic
- Joann King, Case Manager
- Dennis Newby, Signage Coordinator, Public Relations
- Reggie Padgett, Senior Application Analyst
- Ginger Parker, Registered Nurse
- Stephen Phillips, Application Analyst
- Kathy Schilling, Administrative House Supervisor, Care Coordination
- Debbie Tucker, Registered Nurse
All employees who reached anniversaries ranging from 10 to 40 years in 5-year increments were named in the recognition.
The Floyd Health System COVID-19 Response Team was the recipient of this year's 2020 President's Award, and by extension, the entire Floyd community, said President and CEO Kurt Stuenkel.
He said he started writing down possible candidates, but realized he had to broaden his scope.
“I filled up one whole column of the yellow pad, and I created a second column and filled it up. I was ready to turn the page, and I saw that choosing anybody off of that list would be very difficult. It would be impossible," Stuenkel said.
“So, all of the departments, all of the direct caregivers, all of the people who support the direct caregivers, everyone in our organization has done just such an outstanding and amazing job, and so everyone is a recipient this year as a participant in our COVID-19 response, in the President's Award," Stuenkel added.
Stuenkel said it was also impossible to narrow candidates for Physician of the Year, and instead named 13 who were instrumental in Floyd's response to COVID-19:
Dr. Daniel Valancius, Hospitalist
- Dr. Kevin Hardwell, Emergency Care Center physician
- Dr. Gary Voccio, Director of Northwest Georgia Public Health
- Dr. Ken Jones, Floyd Chief Medical Officer and Executive Vice President
- Dr. Matthew McClain, Rome Radiology
- Dr. Kirk Kizziah, Rome Radiology
- Dr. John Hostetler, Harbin Clinic
- Dr. Robert Holcombe, Medical Director of Floyd Urgent Care
- Dr. Anne Cowan, Medical Director of Preoperative Evaluation Center
- Dr. Pamela Obi, Floyd Family Medicine Residency
- Dr. Reneka Dobbs-Jackson, Floyd Primary Care
- Dr. Emma Atherton Staples, Floyd Primary Care
- Dr. Christina Douglass, Floyd Primary Care
- The Intensive Care Unit at Floyd Medical Center was selected as the 2020 Department of the Year. Working long hours and extra shifts, the ICU staff worked closely with physicians to provide care for COVID-19 positive patients and those suspected of having the virus. ICU staff also developed efforts to minister to ICU patients and families, helping them to communicate with each other.
- The team that worked to bring the Angel Eye camera system to Floyd's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is the recipient of the 2020 Executive Team Award. The secure, one-way camera system allows parents to peek in on their little ones in the NICU when mom and dad can't be there.
- The office of Dr. Neil Gordon and Dr. Pamela Hearn in Cedartown is the 2020 Physician Practice of the Year. This office was a pioneer in swabbing primary care patients for COVID-19, securing and picking up donated personal protective equipment and piloting telemedicine conferences with patients.
- Other awards included Patient Satisfaction Excellence – Surgical Specialties nursing unit; Excellence in People Focused Initiatives – Employee Assistance Fund Team; Strategic Excellence – The Atrium Supply Chain Transition Team; Financial Excellence – Denials Recovery Team; Quality Excellence – System Imaging Service Team.