Additional Visitation Information
To maintain safety and quality of care for all patients in ICU, family members and visitors are asked to follow our
Visitor Guidelines. Additional guidelines include the following:
- Children should be accompanied by an adult at all times, and should not sit or crawl on the floor or touch equipment.
- All visitors should be free of cold, flu or other illness symptoms.
- Visitors will be asked to return to the waiting area during the following times:
- Bedside procedures and emergencies
- A crisis situation with a patient
- Behavior disruptive to the functioning of the patient care unit
- Patient's need for privacy or rest
Items Not Allowed
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the patient area.
- Flowers and plants are not allowed in the patient area or waiting room.
- Pets are not allowed in the patient area or waiting room.
We maintain the privacy of all our patients. When a loved one is in ICU, the family will be asked to appoint one contact person who will receive patient updates. The primary point of contact will provide a password that must be used to receive information by phone. Without the password, nursing staff will not share updates with a caller.
The appointed contact person should also provide the nurse with cell and/or home phone numbers so they can be reached for questions, concerns and updates from the medical team.
If a patient or family member feels their visitation rights have been violated, they may contact department leadership on their loved one's unit, or the Atrium Health Customer Care Line at
800-821-1535 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.