The 10th annual Cast Off Against Cancer celebration is scheduled for Sunday, May 17 from 2 – 4 p.m. at Barron Stadium in Rome. The event marks the conclusion of Cancer Navigators' largest communitywide event and three months of fundraising efforts.
Cancer Navigators, a community-based nonprofit organization established in 2006, guides those affected by cancer toward a better understanding of diagnosis and care and connects them with needed resources in their journey – free of charge.
“We served 1,789 cancer patients in 2019 and provided a total of 4,390 social support and complementary care services," said Sarah Husser, Cancer Navigators Fundraising and Community Outreach Coordinator. “This would not be possible without the community's support, especially of Cast Off."
Cast Off Against Cancer provides an opportunity for everyone to get involved in raising funds that make a huge difference in Cancer Navigators' ability to meet an ever-increasing need for supporting the ﬁnancial, emotional and physical needs of cancer patients. One hundred percent of all event proceeds remain in our community to help provide front-line services to cancer patients.
This year's event will include the iconic Daisy Drop, which gives loved ones an opportunity to honor those who have fought or are fighting cancer. A $5 donation will allow you to purchase a daisy and drop it in the Oostanaula River during a procession over the Chief John Ross Memorial Bridge at the Town Green.
The Cast Off campaign will also include a 5K virtual race. For $35 you will receive a T-shirt and medal, and you can run or walk the 5K when and where you like. Those interested can register at eventbrite.com or at the Cancer Navigators office, located on the third floor of the Harbin Clinic Cancer Center, 255 W. Fifth St., Rome.
Here are some other ways you can join the fun and help cancer patients in our community:
- Create a Cast Off team with your employees, organization, church group or friends and family. Teams can sell T-shirts, baked goods, host a spirit night at a local restaurant. The possibilities are endless and no amount raised is too little! A variety of awards and trophies, from Most Money Raised to Team Spirit, will be presented to teams on May 17.
- Sponsor Cast Off Against Cancer. Sponsorships start at $250.
- Purchase items from teams competing in Cast Off.
- Decorate an oar for the oar competition on May 17. Raffle or sell the oar to raise money.
- Purchase a Cast Off Against Cancer T-shirt from Cancer Navigators.
For more information on Cancer Navigators and Cast Off Against Cancer, call 706.509.5040, visit www.cancernavigatorsga.org, or stop by the office located on the third floor of the Harbin Clinic Cancer Center.