Weight Loss Surgery Options
Bariatric surgery can help you become healthier and live a longer, more fulfilling life. Success requires permanent lifestyle changes and long-term, follow-up care. Bariatric surgery works by either altering the amount of food you eat, changing the way your body absorbs nutrients or both.
Because bariatric surgery limits the nutrients you can consume, patients are at risk for vitamin and mineral deficiencies if they do not include dietary and nutritional supplements in their daily routine.
Surgery of any kind is serious and involves a measure of risk. You should consider the benefits, risks, your expectations and possible complications of weight loss surgery, and discuss these topics with your physician and your family before deciding whether a surgical solution is best for you.
It’s important to understand what bariatric surgery is not:
- Weight loss surgery is not cosmetic surgery.
- Weight loss surgery does not involve body contouring or the removal of adipose tissue (fat) by suction or excision.
- Although reversible, weight loss surgical procedures generally are not reversed after weight loss.
- The success of weight loss surgery is dependent upon the patient making long-term lifestyle changes.
- Weight loss surgery is not a replacement for portion control or exercise.
Surgery Options at Floyd
Each weight loss surgery option works in a different way. We will discuss your surgery options with you and have you work directly with our patient navigator throughout the process. The following surgeries are performed at our center: