Because it is a proven treatment for obesity and its comorbidities, weight loss surgery is covered by many commercial insurance plans. Our staff will work with you and your insurance provider to preauthorize your surgery. If your insurance does not cover weight loss surgery, our financial counselors will work with you to help you take this important step toward a healthier life.
Many insurance companies require extensive documentation before agreeing to pay for your surgery. To secure the best possible insurance coverage for your surgery, you should plan to take the following steps:
- Read and understand your insurance company’s "certificate of coverage." If you do not have one, consult your company's benefits administrator or ask your insurance company directly. This document includes specific requirements per your policy that must be completed before your surgery is approved. If the requirements are not met, the company may deny your surgery claims.
- Start your weight loss journey with your primary care physician. Even if you are not required to get a referral, it is a good idea to have the support of your primary care physician.
- Document every visit you make to a health care professional for obesity-related issues, and organize your medical records. These should include your history of weight loss efforts, including physician-supervised weight loss programs and weight loss attempts made through diet centers and fitness club memberships. Keep good records, including receipts. These will be valuable documents to have at every stage of the approval process.
- Learn more on how to work with your insurance company from the Obesity Action Coalition.
- Most insurance plans require patients to meet a deductible or pay coinsurance costs. These are considered out-of-pocket expenses. Our experienced financial counselors will work with you to explore all of the options available to you. Contact us at 706.509.5122 or email@example.com.
Most requests for coverage are answered within 30 days. You should follow up with your insurance company if your insurance company does not respond within 30 days.
Surgery is an investment in your health and in your future. If you are uninsured or if your insurance provider does not pay a benefit for weight loss surgery, several financing options are available to help you.
Our experienced financial counselors will work with you to explore all of the options available to you. Contact us at 706.509.5122 or firstname.lastname@example.org