Outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation is offered in our rehab clinic at Atrium Health Floyd Polk Medical Center.
The program is designed for individuals with respiratory diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Our treatment goal is to help patients control symptoms, regain endurance and confidence, and improve their ability to perform daily activities.
This outpatient program uses exercise, behavior changes and education to help build a patient's physical fitness. The goal is to help a patient return to their highest possible level of activity.
Our program can help a person breathe better by focusing on:
- Strength training
- Breathing exercises
- Healthy eating
- Quitting smoking
The outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program at Polk Medical Center treats diseases such as:
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency
- Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia (BOOP)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Interstitial lung disease (ILD)
- Lung transplantation
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
Treatment plans include personal exercise and health goals that are reviewed, approved and monitored by a pulmonologist for maximum results. These plans are categorized into three phases of care.
All patients receive monitoring of their heart rate and oxygen level during exercise sessions
A treatment plan typically includes:
- A complete medical exam
- Education about your disease, how to manage it and how to protect your lungs
- Exercises that will help patients increase physical strength, regain control of breathing and perform activities of daily living
- Nutrition guidance on how eating can affect shortness of breath and how to eat healthy
- Counseling to help address the fear, anxiety and frustration that sometimes accompany lung disease
- Education on medications and treatments
- Learning how to avoid or adapt to the things that affect breathing
To Schedule an Appointment
To learn more about our Pulmonary Rehabilitation program or to schedule an appointment, call 770-749-4076.