For the second consecutive year, Floyd Medical Center has been named one of America’s Best Hospitals for both obstetrics and bariatric surgery.
The recognition is awarded by the Women’s Choice Award®, which considers patient satisfaction and clinical excellence in helping women make smart health care choices.
The award signifies that Floyd Medical Center is in the top 17 percent of 4,982 U.S. hospitals offering obstetrics and in the top 8 percent of 4,812 U.S. hospitals reviewed for bariatrics.
“It is important to meet the needs of community by providing excellent care, and I’m proud of the teams receiving this recognition,” said Dr. Sheila Bennett, Executive Vice President and Chief of Patient Services at Floyd. “It is satisfying to know that the Women’s Choice Award recognizes the high level of service we provide every day.”
The America’s Best Hospitals for Obstetrics distinction is based on the following specific criteria:
- The percentage of patients reporting through the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey that they would definitely recommend the hospital
- Patient safety ranking based on 11 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ measures of infection and complication rates
- Low rates of early elective deliveries, between 0-1 percent
- Level III neonatal intensive care designations to provide comprehensive care for the most complex and critically ill newborns
“Pregnancy is one of the most special times in a woman’s life,” said Delia Passi founder and CEO of the Women’s Choice Award. “New moms have many choices when it comes to having their baby, so choosing the best birthing experience is right up there with choosing the best doctor. We’ve made it easy for moms to vet out the hospitals that are proven to deliver an outstanding experience,”
Floyd’s obstetrics program was started in 1942 when the hospital opened and has delivered more than 150,000 babies. Floyd’s Level III NICU has provided care for premature and medically challenged babies since 1966.
The hospital achieved the America’s Best distinction in bariatrics by meeting the following criteria:
- Accreditation by the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery joint-sponsored Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)
- At least 72% of patients reporting on the HCAHPS survey that they would definitely recommend the hospital
- A high patient safety ranking based on 11 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ measures of infection and complication rates
“Women tend to be very selective when choosing hospitals. We take pride in helping them choose with confidence by verifying the hospitals that are the very best at providing patient care,” said Passi. “There are many women who struggle with their weight, especially as they age. For some, diet and exercise alone aren’t enough and they need to turn to bariatric procedures to reduce their weight for their overall good health.”
The Floyd Center for Bariatrics Service is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, recognized by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons. The center opened in 2004 and more than 3000 patients have received weight loss surgery at Floyd.