Screenings at The Breast Center at Floyd provide a baseline measurement with which to compare your future breast examinations. Exams can also provide you with the knowledge to recognize changes in your breasts during monthly breast self-exams.
Our screening appointments include the following:
Screening Guidelines for Women
The Breast Center recommends that women take a three-step approach to preventative care.
- Perform a breast self-exam monthly beginning age 20
- Have a clinical breast exams yearly beginning age 20
- Have a screening mammogram beginning age 40
An annual clinical breast exam and mammogram are the nationally recognized minimum standards of care for women age 40 and over. Women with one or more of the following high-risk indicators should be screened more often.
- Family history of breast cancer
- Family history of male breast cancer
- Family history of ovarian cancer
- Menstrual cycle before age 12
- First live birth after the age of 30 or history of no births
- Prior thoracic radiation therapy to chest
- Ashkenazi Jewish descent
- Known gene mutation for breast cancer in family or self
Screening Guidelines for Men
While there are no routine recommendations for breast cancer screening in men, it is important for men to be aware of their family history and report any family history components or physical changes to their health care provider.
- Have a close male relative who was diagnosed with breast cancer at any age.
- Have a close male or female relative with a known BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 genetic mutation. Men can be carriers of these genetic alterations and may be at elevated risk for developing breast or other related cancers.
- Any changes in the breast or chest area, particularly when the change is only on one side of the chest
- Lump, hard knot or thickening on the breast, chest or underarm area
- Change in the size or shape of the breast
- Dimpling, puckering or redness of the breast skin
- Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
- Inverted nipple
For more information, contact The Breast Center at Floyd at 706.509.6840 or
request an appointment online.